Monday, April 18, 2011

In like Flynn

I got the call on Saturday morning at approximately 10:56am. I'm in. Class of 2015. Holy crap! I'm going to be a veterinarian!

The first person to find out? The checkout woman at Target who kept telling me to "let it all out" because I deserved it. (I had to tell her because I'm pretty sure she thought I was having a heart attack.)

The most fun phone call to make? To one of my oldest friends Rindee. She squealed much like zlionsfan said I squealed when I was notified of my interview. I couldn't understand a word of what she was saying, but boy was she excited for me.

The funniest reaction? When I called my cousin on her moving day. I knew she'd be super busy. She answered, "Did someone die? Someone had better have died." When I said no and told her the reason for calling, she said, "This is much better than if someone had died!" I had to laugh at that. Indeed it was.

The most surprising phone call? To my friend Craig who shows almost no emotion on a daily basis. The force and inflection of his "YES!" was awesome to hear.

What I enjoyed most? Well, telling everyone. But second to that? All the love on Facebook. I think that's why Facebook was invented. To spread good news. Because man do I feel loved right now.

The most touching moment? When my dad told me that he had just gotten to the point where he can say that I'm going to be a veterinarian without getting choked up. I had no idea he felt that strongly about what I was doing.

New thing I've learned? Champagne that costs more than $10 is so SMOOTH! Yumm-o.

The most overwhelming moment? When I realized that in less than 5 months I will have to quit my job, move and start almost a whole new life. Woah. Luckily I have friends who live in my future city. (Friends who should start increasing their food budget slightly because, um, they're going to be feeding me at least once a week or so :-)

Holy crap.

I'm going to be a veterinarian.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

YAYAYAY!!
I'm still smiling. :)

AnnD said...

I'm so excited for you to come here! And you are welcome to come here and eat anytime but I'm not sure you'll want to stay once you get here and realize it's just Mac N Cheese and kosher hot dogs! ;O)

I'm doing a happy dance for you and a happy dance for me too!

"Emily's movin' to Lafayette! Emily's movin' to Lafayette!"

JennyG said...

I think I've told everyone I know. Regardless of the fact they have nooo idea how difficult it is to get into vet school and all the effort you've put into this. I'm still on cloud 9 for you - CONGRATS!!! and go boilers!!! (you'll get there eventually) :)

ems said...

JennyG - the Dr. who sent my email offer of admission signed it "Boiler Up." I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I read that...

I kid, I kid. It's just hard to make the transition from Bulldog to Boiler. Besides, I look terrible in black and gold :-)

Grace said...

I still am so excited for you! And all the Harris family who met you send their congrats as well - we couldn't help but tell EVERYONE we spoke to all weekend!

Anonymous said...

OH OH OH!!!! What a happy post to see the first time I look at journals again! (yeah, I gave up a few days early but what the heck, it was torture!!) Congrats! I'm so excited for you, and also sorry to be hearing the news late when your first cloud 9 has passed already. WOOHOO! :)

Stub

ems said...

Stub - Not to worry. I'm still on cloud nine. And it makes my day every time there's someone new to share the news with. You just made my Thursday :-) Thanks for your excitement and support... Maybe someday I'll get to meet you and Gus.

Anonymous said...

I know I am late to this comment party, but I wanted to let you know I am happy you were accepted into vet school. I believe that anyone who goes after an academic or professional goal as hard as you went after yours is an inspiration. You were not content to sit back and say "I could do this but" and then list a whole bunch of excuses as to why you could not do it. Your determination and work ethic paid off. There is no doubt you will achieve success in this new chapter in your life.