Thursday, April 17, 2008

Casey's Impact

I heard about this "policy change" at the Humane Society of Indianapolis earlier this year and immediately stopped donations and canceled plans to participate in Mutt Strutt. I know that pulling my donations is exactly the opposite of what the HSI needs, but I just can't support this change. Here's a great article about what the strays of Indianapolis are facing.

Saving the Strays

Everyone should be concerned about this. I mean sure, yes, call me a bleeding heart liberal... but "a society is judged by how it treats its weakest members.*" There are so many homeless animals who make great pets and just need a good home... Even Oprah has come to this realization. Yes, I know it's a personal decision, but I just don't know how anyone would chose to go to a breeder (or, God forbid, a pet store) for a "pure bred" dog of any kind (*cough-new-sister-in-law-cough*) when there are so many beautiful animals for much less money and probably better health...

*Yes, I know the original quote by Dostoevsky. I just like this one better.

1 comment:

AnnD said...

ITA. I always roll my eyes when someone brags about having paid hundreds of dollars for a "pure bred." Our friends have a purebred they paid for and he's the most aggressive dog in the whole world. I think to myself: "Boy, that was money well spent!"