Friday, December 05, 2008

Lobster

When I was little, my mother would call me a lobster when I wouldn't share with my little brother. A lobster because I was "shellfish."

I'll admit it, my nature is to be selfish. I don't really like to share. But those early days of being mercilessly teased for being a lobster made an impression on me (because my brother was anything BUT shellfish - he'll still give you the shirt off his back) and now I try my best to go against that impulse whenever I can. I give as much as I can and as often as I can. There are just some things, though...

For example, remember when I was about to die earlier this year? Well, I have a friend who's taking the bio class I took last semester. His finals (there are two) for that class are coming up. He would like to borrow my flashcards for the lab practical. You know, the flashcards that I spent all that time making? There are permanent glue stick marks on my coffee table from those flashcards.

Additionally, the instructor for that class gives the students a packet of 260 multiple choice questions to study for her lecture final. The student has to look up all of the answers, but she pulls the 90 questions for the final directly from that packet. If you look up the answers, and learn the questions (like I did) you'll ace the final (like I did.) Of course, looking up all those answers makes your eyes bleed.

My friend would also like to have a copy of my packet. You know, the one with all the answers?

And I should just give all that stuff to him, right? I should just do it. I've passed the class, I don't need any of that stuff, and the only reason why I kept it is because I'm slightly OCD. The class isn't graded on a curve, so giving him my stuff isn't going to hurt anyone else. My friend is intelligent, so I'm sure he'll still study the material, I'm just helping him out. If I ever need a return favor, I'm sure he would help me out.... I should just give the stuff to him.

But I don't WANNA. That was a lot of work last semester.

But then, I don't want to be a lobster, either. Last semester was last semester and it's over now.

But - I suffered! He should suffer! No pain no gain, right?!

But I HATE the concept of hazing. That whole, "I'm going to make you suffer as I have suffered" thing bugs the heck out of me. Why would I subscribe to it?

Ack! I'm obviously driving myself insane. I'm just going to give him the notes and flashcards. Right? Thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something to be said for doing one's own work, afterall.... if YOU had gotten the flash cards/notes from someone else then maybe you should feel that obligation. But you did the work yourself and so should your friend! It's got nothing to do with making him suffer, but it's got a LOT to do with personal integrity.

Candace said...

It doesn't matter...it is just school and not real life...right? I was always willing to share that type of stuff because I always wanted people to be willing to share with me.

ems said...

See? Both valid points. This is why I'm having difficulty with this...

punkinmama said...

Do you think you would have learned it as well if someone had given you the cards and packet? I bet doing all that stuff made you learn it even better...
So then there's 2 sides: 1) Not giving him the stuff is helping him learn better. 2) Giving him the stuff may mean he won't ace it and then not doing all the work himself did hurt him some.

That doesn't really help though does it...